My BLCU Blog: How long should I study Chinese in BLCU?

Friday, February 3, 2012

How long should I study Chinese in BLCU?

Hello Everyone!

I'm finally back home after more than 4 months of study in Beijing Language and Culture University, or shall we say 1 semester. It has been a very rich and cultural experience for me. I did not only get to explore the beauty of Chinese people, the Chinese language and China itself, but I also met loads of amazing people from all over the world who are excellent in so many ways possible.

Basing from my experience, I would want to give you an idea on how long it should take you to study Chinese in BLCU.

Before I went to Beijing, I literally knew almost 0 Chinese. Yes, I grew up in a Chinese Community and learned Mandarin Chinese when I was in elementary, but the words I really knew by heart were less than 20 characters. I arrived in Beijing and felt like I was in another planet... And no I'm not kidding.

It may or may not surprise you, but you cannot use English in Beijing, unless you speak to your classmates or to students taking up English Majors. The teachers, restaurant personnel, drivers, store owners, EVERYONE else you see speaks in Chinese. Although this may sound horrible, but this was the most helpful part for me. The environment itself will push you to learn Chinese. I believe that there's no quicker way to learn than this method.

So, how many days did it take me to finally speak a bit in Chinese? It's actually surprising that after a week in class, and you go to a restaurant, you'd be able to call the waiter, ask for the menu, and then ask for the bill in Chinese. You'll learn to say How much? and Can you make it cheaper? when you go into the clothing market. You'll be able to say Hello to your teacher, say you're present and understand when the teacher says open your book to page so on and so forth. In the first weeks, you'll learn in class how to read the Chinese Pinyin, so you don't confuse the b with the p sound, the g with the k sound etc. It requires daily practice and it may become boring in some days but little do you know that you're actually learning Chinese!

Let me clarify that in the first month you will but learn the very basics of the Chinese language. It can only make you survive. At this point, you'll realize that there's more than 5000 words you need to learn, but you just have to keep motivated. Keep the fire burning. I was taught that if you learn and master even 800 words, you are already considered fluent and able in daily conversations.

After 1 semester of Intensive Chinese study, with several meet ups with my Chinese friend and several exposures to different people I met in Beijing, I can say I am very happy with the results. Although my Chinese is still just slightly above the beginner level, I know I can do what I want, ask for what I want and go where ever I want to now using the words I learnt in BLCU. I flew all by myself from Beijing to Xiamen and it was nice to know I could even understand airport terms.

Maybe you'll think that 1 semester or 4 months of Chinese study is too long, but when you go to Beijing, you'll realize how fast time flies. Beijing is such a fun place! Before you know it, it's time to go back and face your old life.

I honestly think that in order to fully master what you've learned, 1 school year is recommended (around 9 months) of learning. 1 semester though is just enough to get a good foundation of Chinese. If you already have some knowledge in Mandarin Chinese, you can always take the short term courses (3 - 12 weeks) depending on you're preference. Language learning is all about practicing and using what you've learned.

Have you studied Chinese in BLCU before? If not, do you plan to study Chinese? For how long?  :)

13 comments:

  1. I plan to go there for a year, starting sempember...

    how were the teachers there? Did they speak exclusively chinese with you or could they speak english?

    how are the beijing people, are they easy going? is it easy to make friends?

    how did you do with housing? is getting a room through blcu a good idea or is it smarter to try finding something cheaper on your own?

    Thanks!

    /andrej

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most of the teachers can speak a little English, but they're not really fluent with it. If you're in the beginner level, they will assign teachers who can communicate in English with you (at least in a level you can understand each other).

    Beijing people, as far as I know are really nice and helpful. You can meet snob ones as well, I think it happens anywhere you go. And yes it's quite easy to make friends. :)

    Getting a place to stay before you reach Beijing is smarter (can be in the school or not). I don't suggest that you only start looking for a room when you arrive.;) Although most people manage to find one at the end, they've surely been through hard times.;)

    I'll soon make a post on the possible dorm rates so I can help you more.

    This article may also be helpful to you: http://myblcublog.blogspot.com/2011/07/how-to-reserve-dorm-room-in-blcu.html

    Hope I helped :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Stephanie!! you're most kind!!

    what do you think, after one year of intensive course, how good will my chinese get? would i be able to do buisness in china or would it still be limited to ordering in restaurants? hehe...

    Cheers!

    /andrej

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think so.. As long as you are focused and diligent. In general it depends on your improvement. Some students can get into B class, others in C. But definitely there are optional business classes in these higher levels.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I plan to go to BCUL, for a whole year.

    Did you get any diploma or certification??

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes I received a certification and some awards (with certification) as well ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Stephanie,

    May I know how many class level in BLCU for the intensive / regular ?
    Is there any single room in dorm 17 ? How much is it?
    Thanks b4.

    -Bogo-

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Bogo,

    I think there are 5 if i'm not mistaken. The levels start from A and end in E. But each level has sublevels. Eg., A class has 3 sublevels: a0 (zero chinese) a Normal(knows a bit of Chinese, but not really) and a+ (knows the basics)... same with the other levels without the zero [:)]

    Yes there are single rooms in Dorm 17. It depends on how long you want to stay. The last time I checked it was 180 RMB/night for a month.The price goes down when you stay longer.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Stephanie,

    I would like to know maybe by any chance you have some friends at BLCU who are doing MA in International Politics (International Economics).

    I've been studying at BISU for 2,5 years. After that was back to my country (Belarus). I'm about to get my Bachelor degree. Want to go back to China to do Master degree.

    I chose BLCU. But want to know a little bit about the program from the students, I mean do they like it, do they find teachers good etc.

    Thanks ^_^

    Tanya.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Tanya, Thanks for your comment!:) I'm sorry but I don't know anyone taking up a Master's Degree in BLCU. But I think the school is really good. The teachers are also nice. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Stephanie,

    Thank you for the post, it was very helpful!

    I am planning to study at BLCU for short term from this August.
    I m 18, and will there be students about my age?
    It seems that many students are slightly older..
    It would also be great if I can find a roommate to share accommodation on campus.

    Thanks!:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Think First helps each student reach his/her potential with engaging instruction, intrinsic motivation and meaningful rewards. Our scientific methods and systems are a fresh change from traditional tutoring and, with full time instructors, we get to know and bond well with our students. As a result, we have helped many children including ones who were not seeing improvement with other tutors. We hope you will give us the opportunity to understand your needs Chinese Dubai

    ReplyDelete
  13. Understudies who are as of now figuring out how to Study Chinese Mandarin are given an enormous serious edge particularly since the Chinese language is presently t

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to read your comments!